Re: [gnome-db] datasources:///

> > > Yesterday I was a bit playing with the "Network Servers" in garnome (you
> > > know, network:/// in nautilus), and I had an idea.
> > > What do you think about handling data sources in nautilus, for example
> > > using datasources:///?  We could also create a "New data source" icon,
> > > like "New Server" in the Network Servers window.
> > well, nautilus views (which is what network: is) dont make sense for
> > everything, and I think they don't for data sources. We already have the
> > gnome-database-properties app, which shows up when you go to
> > preferences:///Advanced in Nautilus.
> > I don't think we should be adding a view for that.
> Well, I thought that this was a good idea.
> Could you explain more in details why you don't want a nautilus view?
> What do you think about fonts:/// btw?  Does it make sense?
> As Adam mentioned, accessibility will be highly improved with a nautilus
> view.  This is an important issue imho

So long as DataSources can be reached via preferences:/// I don't think it is a
make or break deal.  A seperate view or an associated application.  I'm not
certain how one would present data source configuration in a nautilus view.
fonts:/// is good, but it is read only.  You can't go there and edit the
attributes of a font,  I'm not sure how doing such a thing would look.

A nautilus datasource navigator (goining INTO a datasource) would be very
interesting  (following something like the tree view presented by dbvisualizer)
and a grid to edit table data.  But I don't know how scalable that would be.
For instance our database has 769 tables, 121 views, and lord knows how many
indexes.  Some tables have 3+ million records;  make a simple navigator could
be tough. {But I'd send pizza to the guy/gal who pulls it off}.  But I'm a huge
fan of GNOME-VFS and nautilus, so I'm biased toward such a thing.