[gnome-db] Re: libgda Perl bindings

    Rodrigo> On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 19:27, Rendhalver [Peter Brown] wrote:
    >> hi Rodrigo
    >> just looking around the gnome site and spotted the Contribute to GNOME page
    >>
    >> being a bit of a perl hacker i wondered if there was any perl i could
    >> help with,  so i stuck perl in the search box and libgda came up (the
    >> only one mind you)
    >>
    >> i have been using perl for ages now so i beieve i can help out
    >> i am the type of guy has taught myself all i know :)
    >>
    >> i have done quite a bit of database stuff with perl (DBI mostly)
    >> i would probably want to stick the resulting module on CPAN but thats
    >> just my contributing back to cool things nature
    >>
    >> so point me at some specs and i will let you know if i can do what is
    >> required
    >>
    Rodrigo> cool to have your help.

happy to help out :)

i have subscribed to the gnomedb list btw

    Rodrigo> We've got some offers from other people, but so far nobody has sent a
    Rodrigo> single line of code, so the job is yours :-)

oki cool

    Rodrigo> We've got a plan though for the bindings (not only perl, but bindings in
    Rodrigo> general), which is to work out some .defs files (the format used by the
    Rodrigo> GNOME binding language team) to be able to generate bindings for many
    Rodrigo> languahes, included perl, from those files.

will have a look at the docs for these (i am assuming they are on the gnome site ??)

    Rodrigo> So far, we are waiting on Ariel Rios (ariel gnu org) work on this, which
    Rodrigo> shouldn't be too far from being finished (from what he said last time I
    Rodrigo> talked to him).

    Rodrigo> So, the idea is to work on those defs files. We've got perl bindings for
    Rodrigo> the GNOME 1.4 verison (libgda-perl in CVS), but those are too much work
    Rodrigo> to be ported to the new libgda API, which have changed a lot.

i will check these out and have a look

    Rodrigo> Other perl jobs we want to do is to do scripting on the front-end, via
    Rodrigo> perl/python/guile/whatever, so it might be another thing you could help
    Rodrigo> us on.

cool

    Rodrigo> So, how does it sound?

nifty

--
 XEmacs Advocate | I've seen things you people wouldnt believe.
 FreeBSD Devote  | Attack ships on fire of the shores of orion ...