[gnome-db] Re: libgda Perl bindings

On Wed, 2002-05-29 at 19:27, Rendhalver [Peter Brown] wrote:
> hi Rodrigo
> just looking around the gnome site and spotted the Contribute to GNOME page
>
> being a bit of a perl hacker i wondered if there was any perl i could
> help with,  so i stuck perl in the search box and libgda came up (the
> only one mind you)
>
> i have been using perl for ages now so i beieve i can help out
> i am the type of guy has taught myself all i know :)
>
> i have done quite a bit of database stuff with perl (DBI mostly)
> i would probably want to stick the resulting module on CPAN but thats
> just my contributing back to cool things nature
>
> so point me at some specs and i will let you know if i can do what is
> required

cool to have your help.

We've got some offers from other people, but so far nobody has sent a
single line of code, so the job is yours :-)

We've got a plan though for the bindings (not only perl, but bindings in
general), which is to work out some .defs files (the format used by the
GNOME binding language team) to be able to generate bindings for many
languahes, included perl, from those files.

So far, we are waiting on Ariel Rios (ariel gnu org) work on this, which
shouldn't be too far from being finished (from what he said last time I
talked to him).

So, the idea is to work on those defs files. We've got perl bindings for
the GNOME 1.4 verison (libgda-perl in CVS), but those are too much work
to be ported to the new libgda API, which have changed a lot.

Other perl jobs we want to do is to do scripting on the front-end, via
perl/python/guile/whatever, so it might be another thing you could help
us on.

So, how does it sound?