RE: [gnome-db] Name proposal/contest for gnome-db/gASQL

Le jeu 20/06/2002 à 22:49, Fernando Martins a écrit :
> Hi Rodrigo,
>
> [...]
> > >
> > well, the first thing if you want to help is to start using the
> > application, and, then, you can start telling the developers what is
> > missing, what is wrong, etc, and you can also start helping on writing
> > the user guide.
> >
> > So, please, install gnome-db, and start using it :-)
> >

> Unfortunately, I don't have any use (and no itch to scratch) for
> gnome-db/gASQL so I can't help much here other than simple testing. Just to
> clarify, my main interest is in developing, so basically you put me on the
> wrong side of the equation :-).
>
> It's just that at this moment:
>   - I'm lacking the time and courage to download and install gnome 2.0 (I'm
> sick of dealing with DLL^H^H^H dependency hell and configuration issues);

I had the same problem, that is I did not know how to install Gnome2
except from sources and it seemed a huge task. I chose the Garnome
'distrib' which is just the sources and some makefiles, and the only
thing to do to build it is a "make install". It is a 150Mb download, and
if you want I can put it on a CD and send it to you. Tell me.

>   - I'm waiting for the merge dust to settle;
>   - I miss a clear (and documented) egnima project vision and planning (or
> am I expecting too much?);

I'm going to work on this and soon propose my point of view and some
ideas of development.

>   - I believe the project can benefit from an improved web site (more and up
> to date information);

Right. The best IMO would be to create a new web page in the Gnome-db
web site.

> So, for the moment being, I'm willing to help with docs (everything except
> user docs, sorry).

Then there are some opportunitis for you to work on:
- writing, as I did for the gASQL's doc, a page describing all the work
you did on the joins.
- prepare a nice layout for an Egnima page on the gnome-db web site.
- work on the libgda and libgnomedb's API documentation
- work on the Egnima's developper documentation to improve what I did.

Tell me if you need any help.

Cheers,