Re: [gnome-db] Congratulations to you all -> PostgreSQL 7.3 questions

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 18:28, Vivien Malerba wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 05:37:01PM +0100, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 16:36, Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > I just installed Mergeant and would like to congratulate you all for this
> > > wonderful job. I use Mergeant with PostgreSQL 7.2 and plan to install
> > > PostgreSQL 7.3. My questions :
> > >
> > > 1) Does Mergeant support PostgreSQL 7.3 schema features? What PostgreSQL 7.3
> > > features are missing?
> > >
> > no new 7.3 features are yet implemented, AFAIK.
> >

> I'm working on it now in the libgda provider. For the purpose of the new
> "schema" feature I've created a new feature name
> (GDA_CONNECTION_FEATURE_NAMESPACES) which will return TRUE only for
> postgres >=7.3, and also a new GDA_CONNECTION_SCHEMA_NAMESPACES which
> will return all the "schemas" (I will use the namespace term instead to
> avoid confusion with the libgda'schemas).
>
> I'll try to provide a patch tomorrow.

wow, this is great!

> For mergeant, I'll also do the modifications (creating a DbNamespace
> object to make sure we don't mix database objects from different
> namespaces).
>
> Tell me if you agree with this way of proceeding.

yes, I agree. I was also thinking on doing it this way, even though I
didn't know exactly what the schemas were referring to in 7.3. But now,
I know what they are, so yes, this is the best solution.

> > > 2) During initialization, a box displayed "Function initialization" or the
> > > like. I see no function icon to write PLpgSQL. Do I miss something ?
> > >
> > do you mean a UI interface in mergeant to create new
> > functions/procedures or edit existing ones? If so, no, we don't have
> > that yet.
>
> This is one of the features I'd definitely need...

yes, would be a nice feature to have. I'll add it to bugzilla and mark
it as tentatively-1.0, and if there's time, we'll have it in 1.0