RE: [gnome-db] cygwin update

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 01:27, Fernando Martins wrote:
> Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > fmartins wrote:
> > > In /usr/local/lib/libgda/providers I have:
> > >
> > > libgda-default.a
> > > libgda-default.la
> > > libgda-postgres.a
> > > libgda-postgres.la
> > >
> > ok, this means that the postgres libraries have been found and that the
> > postgres provider has been compiled and installed successfully.
> >

> Hmm, why is it that Margus had DLL files and I did not?

no idea :-(

> BTW, what's the difference between .a and .la files (or a link for info on
> it)?

.a is a static library, while .la are libtool files, that is, libraries
made with libtool, and usually useless, except on some unix systems,
AFAIK.

> > Ok, so now it is the developers' turn to fix that, by adding to the
> > provider loading code the needed stuff to load either a .so or a .la or
> > a .dll, whichever is available.
> >

> Hmm again :-), I read the code giving problems:
>
> gda_config_get_provider_list (void)
> 	ext = g_strrstr (name, ".");
> 	if (!ext)
> 		continue;
> 	if (strcmp (ext, ".so"))
> 		continue;
>
> 	path = g_build_path (G_DIR_SEPARATOR_S, LIBGDA_PLUGINDIR,
> 				     name, NULL);
> 	handle = g_module_open (path, G_MODULE_BIND_LAZY);
> 	if (!handle) {
>
> and made the obvious hack of replacing .so by .la. It didn't work, it
> doesn't get the handler.

.la are not libraries. If you've got only a .a and a .la file, then it
seems you don't have shared lib support in your cygwin installation. Or
please, somebody who knows better cygwin than I do, correct me.

> Maybe related, I have also have problems with path names when calling
>
> 	dir = g_dir_open (LIBGDA_PLUGINDIR, 0, &err);
>
> LIBGDA_PLUGINDIR is defined (at configure time) as
>
> 	\\usr\\local\\lib\\libgda\\providers
>
> I've to do:
>
> 	dir = g_dir_open ("D:\\cygwin\\usr\\local\\lib\\libgda\\providers", 0,
> &err);
>
> I suspect this is a problem with the way glib is compiled (cygwin or
> windows) but had not the time to research it further.

could you please enter a bug in http://bugzilla.gnome.org for libgda
about this?