Re: [gnome-db] Updates to Postgres provider

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 12:33:54AM +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 13:47, Vivien MALERBA wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I've now updated the libgda documentation, set the postgres provider up
> > to date with that doc and Mergeant now works (well at least it loads the
> > database schemas).
> >
> > So, the other providers can be updated and testing the schemas loading
> > of Mergeant with them should work quite well. Keep me posted of the
> > problems.
> >
> yes, mergeant works more or less (unimplemented stuff mainly, I got just
> one crash)!! This is very good news. I'll work on adding this support to
> mysql and the default provider.

Good, so we can make the beta and say it works with both Postgres and
Mysql.

> > Also, I think the port to Gnome2 of Mergeant is now finished and we can
> > start developping on it again.
> >
> yes, this is very good news!!! And I was waiting for this to happen to
> make a new release of gnome-db with the libgda/libgnomedb/mergeant, even
> if it's a beta one.

Yes.

> So I'd like to discuss the needed features to have a beta, so that we
> can release ASAP. Right now, I'm thinking on some simple tasks:
>
> * fix crashes

That is something I'll be doing today.

> * fully implement the SQL window
> * added missing schemas to providers

Right.

> Vivien, is there anything else you would like to have in the beta? As I
> said, I'd like to release it ASAP so that we can get rid of gnome-db
> (the frontend) quickly and present the new application, so I think it is
> a good idea to keep this feature list as short as possible, specially
> since we just want to do a beta release.

I think about two (IMO) necessary things:
* a basic form to be able to modify the data of tables and views from
  Mergeant (I'm working on it now)
* I need to have the widget we talked about quite some time ago: the one
  which displays a tree of some shemas (tables, fields, data types, etc)
  because it needs to be used in several places (New query druid, query
  edition at least)
* a dialog to manage the libgda data sources (at the moment I ihave to
  manually edit the ~/.libgda/config file, and this file is needed for
  Mergeant to work).

> So, please tell me what to add to this list, and I'll set up bugzilla
> for it, so that we can quickly query the list of tasks for that beta.
> For that, I'd need also a description of mergeant's bugzilla components.
> What about:
>
> Tables & Views
> Sequences
> Forms
> Queries
> SQL
> documentation

Sounds good to me.

> ? that is, a separation identical to the UI organization.

Cheers,