Re: [gnome-db] Egnima's status

On Thu, 2002-08-01 at 12:13, Malerba_Vivien stna dgac fr wrote:

> > > I've seen the result but I haven't managed to commit a query, how do you
> > > do it (there was a toolbar in gnome-db to do it)?
> > >
> > yes, there was a toolbar/menu items for executing the command. I guess
> > we should do the same for egnima, although as I wasn't sure, I just
> > added the SQL window with no menu options.
>
> I like how it is done in gnome-db: a small toolbar next to the the
> textedit area (on top of it). Another idea is to use the toolbar present
> in Egnima, and display icons if the SQL tab is selected, and hide them
> otherwise. What do you think?

well, that would mean more work, and I think having the small specific
toolbar on top of the text view might be enough. So, I'd vote for that.
What do other people think?

> > > Ok, this is because you've changed libgda to allow for password storage
> > > in the libgda config. I propose that the dialog be removed if there is
> > > already a password, and kept present if none is present (maybe the user
> > > does not want to store his password in the libgda config file but give
> > > it at runtime). OK?
> > >
> > no, but the GnomeDbLogin does not store anything, it just prompts the
> > user for a DSN/username/password, and then you just have to get it
> > (gnome_db_login_get_dsn/username/password), so the second dialog is
> > redundant, since it asks again for the password.
>
> I see. My problem is that when an XML file is loaded, the GnomeDbLogin
> dialog is not shown because the DSN and username are loaded from the XML
> file, and so I need a password. What I can do is always display the
> GnomeDbLogin dialog (with the fields preselected from what is in the XML
> file), and remove the password dialog. Ok?

yes, that's what I was saying. You can also set the password/username
you want in the GnomeDbLogin widget. So, you just have to read the XML
config file, create the login widget and set the values from the config.
Then, when the user selects 'Connect', you just get back the values and
update the XML file.

> Also, I think it would be better, for the GnomeDbLogin button to have a
> text like "Connect" instead of "gnome-db-connect" and a little pixmap
> showing a connection as well.

well, that's a bug in the stock icons registry. It should display a
database icon with 'Connect' next to it. I'll look at it later.