Re: [gnome-db] A very empty gnomedb-fe

On Mon, 2001-11-05 at 17:04, Will LaShell wrote:
> > yes, the problem is that OAF (Object Activation Framework) can't find
> > the gnome-db/libgda's .oaf files. Where have you installed
> > libgda/gnome-db?
> >
> > You've got 2 solutions:
> > * copy $prefix/share/oaf/GNOME*.oaf /usr/share/oaf
> > * export OAF_INFO_PATH="$prefix/share/oaf:/usr/share/oaf"
> > (being $prefix the prefix where you installed gnome-db/libgda)
>
> I remember that you and I had this problem when I did my install
> rodrigo. The problem then in addition to this was that oaf & gconf had
> to be restarted. Has this been improved any?

If you mean you had to stop oafd and gconfd after setting OAF_INFO_PATH,
in that case, I guess there's no way to do it without restarting oafd,
since there is no other way to let it know about the new environment
variable value.

> Also, is there any way
> configure wise to make this more intelligent? It's very frustrating to
> have things going to the wrong directory paths. A manual work around
> such as this should not be necessary.

before, it was just installing stuff in `gnome-config --datadir`/oaf,
but this broke a lot of stuff, such as the packages, and installation in
other prefixes, which is sometimes needed for non-root installations,
where you'll have no permissions to create files in the GNOME datadir
directory.

If there's a nice way of solving this and make both packages and
installation in all prefixes work, I'd be glad to know about it, but as
it is now I think it is the best solution, since packages will always be
made for the same GNOME prefix (/usr) and I don't think people compiling
from sources will have any problem in setting up an environment variable
:-)
Anyway, maybe a short note about this OAF_INFO_PATH variable in the
README should be added...