Re: [gnome-db]Yet more problems

On 27 May 2001 22:29:27 +0200, Sean Allen wrote:
> On 27 May 2001 14:32:12 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> > > Just out of curiosity: If I do GNOMEDB_oafdir=$datadir/oaf, then
> > > installing from source won't work if I want to install in another prefix
> > > than OAF is installed, will it?
> > >
> > > Say you have gnome 1.4 installed (and therefore OAF) under /opt/gnome,
> > > and want to install gnome-db under /usr/local, make install will put the
> > > oaf files under /usr/local/share/oaf, where oaf won't find it.
> > >
> > exactly, that is why configure.in was using `oaf-config --datadir`, since this
> > is very important. If not installed in the correct place, OAF won't find
> > the components.
> >
> > So, how could we solve this to use `oaf-config...` for source
> > installation and $datadir/oaf for packages?
> > My first try was to use "GNOMEDB_oafdir=$RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{prefix}" in the
> > make call in the spec file, but this did not seem to work
> >
> I'm not sure about the source way of building, but for packaging,
> it's actually ${datadir}/oaf
> and it works,

ok, I'm making some tests here (on a Debian machine, so it may not be
accurate). I'll keep you informed of anything I find.

> I also had alot of fun coaxing glade to compile, and under RH7 at least,
> the glade folks need to point to some different include dirs, at the
> moment they just point glade at the /usr/include and not
> /usr/include/gnome-db and /usr/include/gda, oh well, I got it to work

maybe it's something with the gda-config/gnomedb-config scripts. I'll
have a look

> and I will (finally) start playing with this version to write the users
> guide, you mentioned the GDA command line tools as well, Rodrigo, do you
> have a list of names so I can at least create a page for each one now
> that we can fill in once they are finished.
> thanks

ok, the planned ones are:
* gda-config: now works. It is the same as glib-config, gnome-config,
etc
* gda-buildserver: create the skeleton of a new provider. Should work,
but it may be outdated
* gda-buildclient: compiles a GDA client. Not sure if it's very useful,
since developers would prefer to use gda-config to use it in auto*
generated Makefiles
* gda-run: runs a SQL script. More or less, it works, although I haven't
used it for a long time :-( It should be updated to allow also XML
scripts
* gda-shell (or gda-sh): that's the most interesting one, which does not
even exist yet
* gda-report-client (or gda-run-report, or whatever): it will allow
users to run reports from the command line

Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> <rodrigo ximian com>
http://www.gnome-db.org/