Re: [Fwd: Re: [gnome-db]API reference]

> I would like to use gnome-db/gda to access a MySQL data base on another
> machine. I got gda-test to work but have problems configuring gnome-db
> (no data source configured) http://www.gnome-db.org/docs/ is virtually
> mute on the subject. Are there any descriptions anywhere? (short of
> reading (and understanding) the source?)
>
> Thanks
>
> Andreas
Welcome to the list Andreas,

The issue you raised is being addressed (I promised to take a look at
this, writing a command line tool to manage gda providers). Since this
one is not done, you have two options left:

-The convinient way:
Use the gnomedb-fe application, click on the "Manager" component,
and then on the "Add new datasource" icon. This will open a druid
and walk you through the configuration. BUT, it seems to be broken
for me. Anyone want to comment on this? Rodrigo?

-The clumsy way:
Use the gconftool program to set the parameters you want. Here's a
rough guide (the text between < > should be changed to your own
parameters):

gconftool -s
/apps/gda/Datasources/<your_new_gda_data_source_name>/Provider -t string
<the_oaf_id_of_your_provider>

gconftool -s /apps/gda/Datasources/<your_new_gda_data_source_name>/DSN
-t string <your_dsn_string>

gconftool -s
/apps/gda/Datasources/<your_new_gda_data_source_name>/Description -t
string <a_description_of_this_data_source>

gconftool -s
/apps/gda/Datasources/<your_new_gda_data_source_name>/Username -t string
<username_to_the_underlying_db>

I guess this sould be enough. In your particular case, the following
parameters should be ok:

<the_oaf_id_of_your_provider> =
OAFIID:GNOME_GDA_Provider_MySQL_ConnectionFactory

<your_dsn_string> =
DATABASE=<name_of_the_database>,HOST=<name_of_the_host>

I hope this can help you play with gda/gnome-db until we have these
problems sorted out.

Cheers.