Re: [gnome-db]Required packages [ Was:Problem running gnomedb-mgr]

On 20 Mar 2001 14:49:03 -0500, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> I was unable to get the previous version of gnomedb-mgr to go,  but since they
> released a new binary package I decided just to start over.

what problems were you having? You must note that gnomedb-mgr is a
component, so if you run it
on the command line, nothing will appear. You need to run the gnomedb-fe
to load the manager on it.

> I have
>
> gda-postgres-0.2.3-1
> libgda-0.2.3-1
>
> installed, and can use /usr/bin/gda-test to query my PostgreSQL database (YES!).

ok, so at least GDA works :)

> However attempts to install gnomedb result in:
> /home/awilliam/ops/gnomedb $  rpm -Uvh gnome-db-0.2.3-1.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies:
>       libgal.so.4 is needed by gnome-db-0.2.3-1
>       libgtkhtml.so.7 is needed by gnome-db-0.2.3-1
>
> Now this is a very current install (Ximian GNOME plus all the required upgrades
> to run Nautilus).  Can anyone give me pointers where I can get these newer
> versions?  I have been unable to locate them at ximian,easel, etc....

have you looked at http://spidermonkey.ximian.com/evolution-snapshots?
There are all the latest
libgal and libgtkhtml versions for both Debian and RPM-based systems.

> I tried to compile gnome-db but the configure script dies with:
>
> checking for BONOBO - version >= 0.29... no
> *** Could not run BONOBO test program, checking why...
> *** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the
> *** exact error that occured. This usually means BONOBO was incorrectly
> installed
> *** or that you have moved BONOBO since it was installed. In the latter case,
> you
> *** may want to edit the gnome-config script: /usr/bin/gnome-config
> configure: error: Bonobo >= 0.29 is needed to compile GNOME-DB
>
> However
> bonobo-0.37-0_plain_0
> bonobo-devel-0.37-0_plain_0
> oaf-0.6.5-0_plain_0
> oaf-devel-0.6.5-0_plain_0
> ORBit-0.5.7-0_plain_0
> ORBit-devel-0.5.7-0_plain_0
> are installed.

ok, this problem I've found myself several times, I don't know exactly
the cause, but I know the solution :) just append --disable-bonobotest
to configure command line.

> Is it possible that the easel RPM's are simply incompatible with gnomedb?

I hope they're not. It seems to me that everything will be fixed when
you install the latest libgal
and libgtkhtml versions. If you've got any more problem, please report
it again to the list.

Rodrigo Moya <rodrigo gnome-db org> <rodrigo ximian com>
http://www.gnome-db.org/