Re: [gnome-db]New article on GNOME-DB

Hi Brian!

On 09 Jul 2001 16:42:57 -0700, Brian Jepson wrote:

> I just wanted to let you know that I wrote an article that has some
> GNOME-DB code.  It's been a while since I wrote about GNOME-DB, and you
> guys have done a great job.  I didn't even have to look at any docs... the
> header files were able to tell me all I needed to know.  It is a very
> clean, well-factored object model.

I'm glad to hear this, since it means we've done a great work, at least
on cleaning up the headers :-)

> Also, it is very nice to see that I don't have to create an ORB anymore -
> a lot of good stuff seems to be going on behind the scenes!

in fact, one of the next things to do is to completely remove the
CORBA_ORB parameter in the call to gda_connection_new

> Anyhow, here's the link for the article:
>
>   http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2001/07/09/mono.html

very nice to see that, although there are some differences, both APIs
seem to map well (in terms of functionality, I mean). anyway, you are
right in what you say about the grid widget. It would be a good thing to
extend the GnomeDbGrid in such a way that it allows data coming from
different places. I'll add a bug to bugzilla about this.

> Also, I updated the example programs from my book to work with the latest
> GNOME-DB.  I wrote the original examples back when  gda and gnome-db were
> in the same library.  Here's where you can find the new examples:
>
>   http://www.jepstone.net/cgi-bin/fom?file=96
>
> I think I probably still have write access to the CVS archive. If you
> would like me to check in my example programs, I'd be happy to do
> that.  If I do so, where should I put them?

yes, I also think your CVS account will still be available, so, please, add the
examples yourself. The best place to put them would be a new directory
in gnome-db/test, where your old sample programs should have been moved
some time ago, when we did the separation