Re: [gnome-db] [Fwd: Re: Communications in Projects...]

On Wed, 2001-12-05 at 17:00, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
> >>I've been a bit from gnome-db development, but, based on my future
> >>I'll be keeping both eyes on it, very closely... So, if this honor can be
> >>delegated to me, I'd be glad to help.
> >Surely, I won't be chopping so many words in the report. ;)
> >I meant 'been a bit far from'... and 'based on my future plans I'll'
>
> I'm certainly not qualified to comment on development issues (way over my
> head).  But I'm re-doing my "Data Access tools for Linux" presention (the one
> linked to from the gnome-db doc page) and after I finish that I hope to actually
> try writting an app using gnome-db.  So I'll offer to help in any
> "documentation" tasks someone want's to throw my way.
>
> I have been pounding the merits of gnome-db on other developement lists I'm
> subscribed to.  I really wish there was PHP bindings as that is what I spend 4~6
> hours a day writting.

it would be very nice to have PHP bindings.

> Theoretical question:
>
> GDA is a CORBA object, yes?  So I don't really *need* Bonobo to access a GDA
> provider,  I could do it directly via CORBA. (?)  Or does GDA need Bonobo as it
> is activated by OAF?

well, I think you'll need Bonobo bindings, although it might be possible
to just use PHP-ORBit (ORBit bindings for Python) to access the CORBA
objects. The only problem on using only ORBit is, as you say, the
activation, which will be more problematic than using OAF directly. But
I think this is something that can be done perfectly.

> If I have XML-RPC/SOAP/CORBA bridging middle-ware,  I should then be able to
> access the GDA provider via XML-RPC?  (I'm currently using XML-RPC for other
> stuff).

oops, that is a very nice idea. In theory, you should just have a
gda-xmlrpc-srv component which listens to a SOAP/XML-RPC port and maps
XML requests/responses to GDA CORBA calls.
Or, another way would be to have this gda-xmlrpc-srv a client thing and
have a SOAP/XML-RPC server respond to the calls (via HTTP+XML) from the
gda-xmlrpc-srv.

That would be a really nice thing to experiment on. Please keep us
informed if you start working on something like this