Re: [gnome-db]GUADEC decisions

Hey Rodrigo,
  We use XSL and FOP (find FOP at http://xml.apache.org/) to create
printed reports.  It is truly the way of the future, but it does have
many problems at present.  Here are some pros and cons we have learned
by experience.

FOP
Pro- excellent automation support, very scalable.
Con- font support is very basic (Adobe Type 1 only)
Con- table rending is excellent, but buggy
Pro- it's under heavy active development

XSLT
Pro- HTML rendering is simpler and more stable than rendering PDF
Pro- CSS2 provides very fancy visual rendering
Con- CSS2 has no way to do page numbers (proposed for CSS3)
Con- HTML and CSS2 completely rely on browsers for client-side
     presentation.  CSS2 is only partially supported in most
     browsers.  There are many small but important differences
     in how browsers render HTML and CSS2.
Pro- Some platforms have GUI report designers for XSLT, but
     they are closed-source. :-(

Does anyone know of other open-source FO renders, like to PS?

Later,
  Dave