Re: [gnome-db]GUADEC decisions

On 9 Apr 2001, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Well, I'm back from GUADEC, and here are the decisions we've made. It
> was a pity that only Carlos and I were there from gnome-db.
>
> So, please, comment on it so that you can also participate in the
> decision, if you want.
>
> * user interface: currently, it is a crap, very confusing, and not very
> user-friendly. Things to do are to use wizards for configuration stuff,
> add keybindings, and rework some of the widgets. I would be very
> grateful to people suggesting UI stuff, even what would be great is to
> provide me with a .glade file, which is very easy to do. But well, just
> suggestions would also be welcomed :-)

Yes. Now, setting up gnome-db is dark. But I would also improve
gda-providers setup for remote access.

What about editable GnomeDB-Combos? I think they would be very useful.
They would work as a non-editable combos, but you could insert text into
them, and then generate an event for processing (autoprocessing would not
be good always)...

> * report engine: I've been talking with some XML guys (Joaquin, Ismael),
> and I've finally understood what XSLT is, and I now know it is the way
> to go. So, the report engine would only generate XSLT, and, as Joaquin
> suggested, we could have a "converter" to be compatible with
> gnome-print, so that the XSLT returned by the engine can be easily
> accessed and used by clients.

It could be OK if the Gnome-DB report-viewer component can show the
returned XSLT. This is something that cannot be left to the application
programmer...

And I think that Gnome-DB should also provide printing-facilities (helping
the programmer to pass that XSLT to the gnome-print, for example).

> Thus, the clients would be the responsible for generating output in
> other formats (PDF, PS, etc).
>
> so, how does it sound?

It sounds well!

Greetings.

--
David Marín Carreño <davefx bigfoot com>   mmmm
(aka DaveFX)   ICQ UIN: 34866516            ""MM    Mm