RE: Antw: reports (clarification)

-- SNIP --
> In the populated report, we don't need to distinguish
> groupheaders, groupfooters
> and detailsections, we only have data sections and so we have a
> simple list
> of data sections

> <data newpage="yes">
>   --  some report-elements   (was outer group header)
> </data>
> <data newpage="no">
>   --  some report-elements   (was inner group header)
> </data>
> <data newpage="no">
>   --  some report-elements   (was detail-section)
> </data>
> <data newpage="no">
>   --  some report-elements (also detail-section)
> </data>
> <data newpage="no">
>   --  some report-elements   (was inner group footer)
> </data>
> <data newpage="no">
>   --  some report-elements   (was inner group header)
> </data>
> many more data sections
>
> IMO the populating-step and the rendering-step are very
> different. Therefore we
> have two related, but different XML-file-formats (=DTDs)
>
> ---------------
> Gerhard

I beg to differ here...  I think the output from the report server should
retain the orgainzational tree structure from the template, mainly because
what if I want to take that report and manipulate it a few different ways
(e.g. strip out the header and footer for a particular report, but render it
a different way in another format) this allows us to only have to populate
the report one time with one template, and gives us a way to use XSLT or
jade or something to alter the document in different ways while having a way
to group the data.  I'm still not fully awake, so I don't know if this makes
sense, so if you need further clarification as to what I am trying to say,
please let me know!  :)  Thanks!

Jade Meskill
jade gnue org