Re: gda-report and gnue

> I have read your proposal, and i think that it needs other point that it
> doesn't show (or IMO it will solve in a non efficient way).

Performance was listed as one of the concerns.  However it has revelant
trade offs.

> What about all the applications that will be as the Windows ones?
> (Visual Basic + Crystal Reports). They are simple executables and don't
> need run a "report server", The part that i'm implementing at this
> moment is oriented to this kind of applications.

The same could be said about libgda correct.  I mean we are talking N-Tier
architectures but nothing prevents all tiers from living on the same
server.  I also was basising this that your report was to be dependent on
libgda.

> I think that we could make two different kinds of report.

I think there are ways to wrapper things so this would not be necessary.
For example for our forms engine in GNUe our middleware has one set of
functionality that can accessed a few way. (i.e. CORBA, direct C)

> A report integrated into an application (you have a report file which is
> processed by the application, well, by the application isn't correct, by
> the gda-report).

GDA-Report is what I am calling the report server. :)  So it sounds like
you mean the same thing. :)  My diagram shows it as an "Enterprise"
architecture, but as I said nothing prevents everything even the database
from being local.

> I think that the first option will be ideal to small applications and
> the last one will be perfect to the medium-big applications (corporative
> applications).

I am not sure they have to be separate, but I could be missing something.
:)

> P.S.: I think that your model will be perfect. It could include an
> Apache plugin for show reports at internet  :-) (like modperl or modphp,
> perhaps modgdareport?)

I am not sure of teh model myself. :)  It could be seriously flawed, I
just know the reporting tools we have used dont work well, and we are
willing to try something new. :)

Regards,

Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise