Re: Recent License Stuff In The News

"Derek A. Neighbors" wrote:

> Perhaps this sheds a small amount of light...
>
> http://crystal.linuxgames.com/rms.html
>
> I would like to bring up again also that since libGDA is a CORBA server
> it is my understanding it can be GPL and work with ANY product... As
> long as they dont embed or directly link libGDA into a non-GPL
> compatiable product.  So I dont see the concern for "popularity" here as
> the server could be used with about any product just not extended in
> prop products.

well this is true for the providers. If somebody takes the IDL and make a
custom client based on it, there won't be any license issue, since as you
say, providers are CORBA servers which are not directly used (that is
linked).

But the libraries are directly linked against the binaries, so here it
really matters if they're GPL or LGPL.

> As for the providers I think they are probably better left GPL as since
> you must interact with third party code it will vary from provider to
> provider.  As some have pointed out a few can be GPL, but what about
> Oracle, DB2 etc...

yes, provider will all be GPL, unless there is something weird about the
commercial ones. Somebody knows?