Re: Recent License Stuff In The News

On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Derek A. Neighbors wrote:

> Perhaps this sheds a small amount of light...
>
> http://crystal.linuxgames.com/rms.html
>
> I would like to bring up again also that since libGDA is a CORBA server
> it is my understanding it can be GPL and work with ANY product... As
> long as they dont embed or directly link libGDA into a non-GPL
> compatiable product.  So I dont see the concern for "popularity" here as
> the server could be used with about any product just not extended in
> prop products.

Got it backwards. LibGDA needs to link to any project and thus should be
LGPL. The providers, can be any license, GPL perferably, but can be
something different in the case you describe below, it really doesnt
matter.

Library's have to have a compatable license to the binary that use is, and
a corba object (or other server) can be used regardless of license.