Re: libgda without gnome and Gtk

Reinhard Müller wrote:

> I've just committed the last changes to make gda-providers gnome- and Gtk-independent
> and thus runnable without having X installed.
>
> To be precise, you need the gnome header files installed to compile, but you can run the
> providers without gnome/gtk/X.
>
> To do this, you must have glib-1.3 installed. That enables the "HAVE_GOBJECT" switch
> in config.h (through configure), and then all GtkObject stuff is replaced by GObject.
> This is done currently for lib/gda-common and lib/gda-server. lib/gda-client will follow soon :)
>
> WARNING: Because signal handling (Object signals, not OS signals) is not yet implemented
> in GObject, signals are not available if you compile libgda with glib-1.3!
>
> Rodrigo: you once wrote about your plan to replace gnome-factory by oaf-factory. This would
> solve the last gnome-dependency in compiling.

ok, I think it's time to do it, so that we throw away the GNOME dependency for ever. I'll be just
modifying some files in lib/gda-server, so I leave the rest to you, specially since I've checked in
20 mins ago gda-init.c and gda-server-init.c (added #define POPT_AUTOHELP), which you had solved
yourself before. So, please remove what I added.

> Then, there is only one gnome-dependency left at all: gda_init and gda_server_init use
> gnome_init_with_popt_table. Please let me know if that would break things if we changed
> that to gtk_init. This would finally remove the last gnome dependency in libgda at all.

no problem on changing it. A bit trickier in the gda-server-init.c (please leave this one to me,
since I'm going to add some things), since you must process the oaf_popt_options stuff. But on the
client side I don't think it's necessary, so you can safely change the gnome_init_with_popt_table
call with gtk_init.

> Volunteers to test my changes are always welcome; comments about the code or style
> are appreciated.
>
> I have left a broken version in cvs for an hour or so. I'm really sorry if that caused any
> inconvenience to anybody.

no problem, gnome-db is also broken (don't blame me, this is because a big structural change is on
the way)

Well, so I hope to have glib1.3 stable ASAP to remove finally also the gtk dependency

Thanks Reinhard for your work!