Re: Some thoughts on LibGDA

Cleber Rodrigues Rosa Junior wrote:

> Hi Rodrigo,
>
> I´ve been spending some time on LibGDA (learning about it).
> I really like the design and I´m really interested in investing some
> of my time on it.
>
> As I was reading the manual, I started translating it (to Brazilian
> Portuguese). I also made a couple of illustrations on DIA that maybe
> you would like to add to the manual. As soon as I finish the
> translation
> I´ll send it to you, as I suppose they could go into the gnome-db
> page.
>
> But the real issue I would like to discuss here is a way of exposing
> LibGDA
> to a web scripting language, as I believe desktop and web application
> are part of solutions that many people (read companies) need nowadays.
>
> Perl bindings would work, yes, but I think PHP has been getting much
> support. If LibGDA can deliver a similar API in PHP, we could attract
> much
> more people into using LibGDA. PHP hasn´t got a unified database
> access
> yet. I reckon that if developers could pick an API that would allow
> them to
> develop web/non-web/gnome/ applications using the same API, I think
> they would go for it.
>
> These are just rough ideas. Let me know what you think about it.
> Bye.

Cleber,

This sounds very nice to me. In fact this is something that has been
said sometimes. It would help a lot in the acceptance of libgda, so if
you want to do something like this, please don't hesitate in starting
it. What I'd prefer is to have both perl bindings and PHP bindings,
although it's perfect to have first PHP.

About the translations, of course, please send them to me as soon as
you've got them, but I hope you're translating the docs in the current
CVS, not the ones on the web site. These are not very accurate, although
some parts are similar to what is actually on CVS.

BTW, this reminds me that the web site needs a redesign.