Re: Logger for libgda

Hi all.

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Holger Thon wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Just a question, if you'd be glad with one undo level:
> Wouldn't it be simplier to make a db transaction and use rollback-transaction
> on the server side to undo? If not, read on. ;-)

Now we are implementing only one undo level, but it is not enough...

> The main problem here is, that you need to generate a query issuing the
> "undo" sql statement to the server. For this, you need to know the sql
> dialect a server understands. I doubt, that this would be possible on
> all providers (e.g. the mail provider lacks sql), however i think this
> is a great idea.

Well... If we want to make undoing using this logger, we should use a new
libgda function... something like this could be enough, just for now:

  gint gda_logger_undo( GDA_Connection /* libgda stuff... */
		        LogID_number)  /* action to undo */

After this, each gda-provider should implement this function in an
appropiate way...

> Possibly, it might work with the xml-query/reporting
> feature of libgda/gnome-db in future, if the server has also implemented
> this feature.
>

> > Now, we are implementing this stuff in the client-side. But we want to
> > program it in the server-side. And the problem is here: we want to
> > continue using libgda for accessing the database. Thus, the logger should
> > be transparent for gda...
>
> I don't think that enhancing the server code much would be a good solution.
> I'm not that fit in bonobo-api, but i think the attempt should be started
> on top of gda-server api, adding plugin possibilities.
> Then, a plugin can directly call the gda-provider with plugin functions using
> its oaf id.
>
> Depending on the server, a different sql dialect could be selected. A generic
> SQL9x conform driver should be added as well, as most databases understand it.
> Another possibility would be to add such a plugin for each server, but it
> would be much more overhead in my opinion.

Both possibilities are good...

> > So we thought... why don't insert the logger into gda? We think that a
> > logger module would be very useful for every program with database access.
>
> This is of course a great idea, but i think it should be separated into a
> plugin so that components remain modular and flexible.

I agree.

Greetings.

--
David Marín Carreño <davefx bigfoot com>   mmmm
(aka DaveFX)   ICQ UIN: 34866516            ""MM    Mm