Re: Logger for libgda

On 27 Nov 2000, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> > "undo" sql statement to the server. For this, you need to know the sql
> > dialect a server understands. I doubt, that this would be possible on
> > all providers (e.g. the mail provider lacks sql), however i think this
> > is a great idea. Possibly, it might work with the xml-query/reporting
> > feature of libgda/gnome-db in future, if the server has also implemented
> > this feature.
> >
> yes, this is one problem I hadn't thought before. How would you build the
> SQL (or whatever) command to make the undo? To do so, you'll be more or less
> simulating a transaction, as you'll have to store the data before executing
> the command.
>
> So, as I said before, I think the best solution for this is to simulate
> transactions in the providers that don't support them

Simulating transactions is a good idea, but n-level undoing goes
further...

The solution for this would be similar to the transactions in the
providers that don't support them: as no database managers support this
useful feature, what about simulating this feature in all providers?

> > > Now, we are implementing this stuff in the client-side. But we want to
> > > program it in the server-side. And the problem is here: we want to
> > > continue using libgda for accessing the database. Thus, the logger should
> > > be transparent for gda...
> >
> > I don't think that enhancing the server code much would be a good solution.
> > I'm not that fit in bonobo-api, but i think the attempt should be started
> > on top of gda-server api, adding plugin possibilities.
> > Then, a plugin can directly call the gda-provider with plugin functions using
> > its oaf id.
> >
> > Depending on the server, a different sql dialect could be selected. A generic
> > SQL9x conform driver should be added as well, as most databases understand it.
> > Another possibility would be to add such a plugin for each server, but it
> > would be much more overhead in my opinion.
> >
> > > So we thought... why don't insert the logger into gda? We think that a
> > > logger module would be very useful for every program with database access.
> >
> > This is of course a great idea, but i think it should be separated into a
> > plugin so that components remain modular and flexible.
> >
> or in the client side. This will mean storing per-user logs, or if we
> really want it, in a central area (through GConf).

As I have already commented in another message, we are worried about
security: a client-side logger could be avoided by a modified client
program... A server-side logger couldn't be avoided by anyone.

greetings

--
David Marín Carreño <davefx bigfoot com>   mmmm
(aka DaveFX)   ICQ UIN: 34866516            ""MM    Mm