Re: Logger for libgda

On 27 Nov 2000, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> > Hello.
> >
> Hi David,
>
> > What do you think about all this?
>
> the GDA architecture right now allows to put this logger both in the client
> and server part. Right now we've got a startLogging method in the IDLs
> but that starts the provider's specific log stuff (that is, ODBC logs,
> postgres libs). So, where do you want it?

If you put it in the server, the database will be more secure: nobody
could access to the database without logging (only if you can set the
logger to be activated forever).

If you put the logger in the client-side, an evil hacker could program a
modified client, and access the database server without logging.

> What I don't understand is the undo stuff. Isn't it better to use
> transactions? Of course, some GDA providers don't support them, but I think
> the best thing to do about this is to implement a transaction simulation
> for those providers.

Transactions only give one-level of undoing. With the logger, you get a
lot of undo levels...

> cheers

David Marín Carreño <davefx bigfoot com>   mmmm
(aka DaveFX)   ICQ UIN: 34866516            ""MM    Mm
http://www.bigfoot.com/~davefx       mmmm     mMM    MM
                                   mM"""MM    MM    mMM
ASPL Fact official developer             "M   "   mM""
http://aspl-fact.sourceforge.net             mmmm
                                           mM"""MM
Advanced Software Production Line SL             "M