Re: Logger for libgda

> Hello.

Hi David,

> First of all: sorry for my very bad English.
>
> My name is David Marín, and I am developer of ASPL Fact project (a billing
> and stock managing application).
>
> We are thinking about making a logger module for our application. This
> module would let us to make some-level-undo's and also would give us the
> possibility of making historical reports for a given database entry.
>
> This logger module works writing each insert/update/delete access into a
> special "Log" table of the database, which fields could be:
>
> * LogEntry-ID
> * User (who access the database)
> * Date
> * Time
> * Host (from where the database is accessed)
> * Table (changed)
> * Entry (changed)
> * Changes (new values of the fields, or something so).
>
> Now, we are implementing this stuff in the client-side. But we want to
> program it in the server-side. And the problem is here: we want to
> continue using libgda for accessing the database. Thus, the logger should
> be transparent for gda...
>
> So we thought... why don't insert the logger into gda? We think that a
> logger module would be very useful for every program with database access.
>
> What do you think about all this?

the GDA architecture right now allows to put this logger both in the client
and server part. Right now we've got a startLogging method in the IDLs
but that starts the provider's specific log stuff (that is, ODBC logs,
postgres libs). So, where do you want it?

What I don't understand is the undo stuff. Isn't it better to use
transactions? Of course, some GDA providers don't support them, but I think
the best thing to do about this is to implement a transaction simulation
for those providers.