Re: GNU Enterprise

Chris Wiegand wrote:

> At 03:51 PM 7/8/00, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> >Christopher Wiegand wrote:
> > > When this happens, what at that point will still be Gnome-dependant, other
> > > than the graphical widgets?
> > >
> >Apart from the widgets, all the bonobo part will be GNOME-dependant (of
> >course, until bonobo is somewhat ported to other toolkits). And,
> >although the bonobo part is quite small today, it will be extended
> >everywhere, since we must make gnome-db fully compatible with all the
> >gnome-office applications.
>
> Between oaf, bonobo, and orbit, I keep getting confused. I know what ORBit
> does, basically, it's a CORBA implementation (that's similar vaguely to
> DCOM/COM, right?) So what does oaf or bonobo do, then?

ORBit is the CORBA implementation
OAF is the system for activating the CORBA objects (the CORBA DNS)
Bonobo is the component system (like ActiveX)

> And if Gnu
> Enterprise is going to depend on our db-api, and they need it be portable
> to non-Gnome environments, how are we going to do that (or is there a
> project to port bonobo to non-GTK environments)?

Well, the UI part should be ported to other toolkits, and as soon as
there is a Bonobo implementation somewhere (there were talks about this
for KDE/KParts), we can port the bonobo part as well.