Re: [gnome-cy] Status update (looking good)

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 02:40:13PM +0100 or thereabouts, Kevin Donnelly wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 May 2003 9:02 am, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> > Kevin, is it worth upodating Kyfieithu so that it has some
> > of the non-done files on it now? Some of the POT files (the
>
> Yes, you're right.  I want to keep the existing ones up until
> about a week after the Urdd Eisteddfod, though, so that if
> people go to look at the site they will get good vibes about

Laugh. Fair point.

> [anti-aliasing]
> llyfnu ffontiau?
> mnemonic key: cof-fysell, cof-allwedd?
> accelerator: cyflymydd

I leave these in for the better-qualified to comment.

> On related matters, I have done an update of KGyfieithu so that
> there is more (and better) background material.  One important
> new page gives a list of Welsh software, and there are more
> references to Mozilla, Mandrake, Abiword around.

Which reminds me. There was talk of a poster mentioning various
sites from which you can get software in Welsh. I found at least
one shop who would be happy to have that. Did anyone come up with
a design? (You don't want me doing it, I assure you.)

> Omnivore now contains over 32,000 strings.

Whoa.

> At the AFFS conference (see below) the possibility of searching
> this to find identical strings to be put into the suggestion
> field of new tables (files) was raised - ie a sort of fuzzy
> matching - which was why I was interested in what Alan had done.
> I remain to be convinced about this - in KDE you will get things
> like Directory:, Directory, Directory %1, Name=Directory, and so
> on, and having to go into each of these to correct one character
> is hardly quicker than typing them in from scratch.  But if
> anyone thinks it would be worth experimenting with this, let me know.

It sounds rather like what you get after taking an old complete
po file of translations, a much newer and longer list of strings
to translate for the same program, and running msgmerge on them.
You end up with a new merged file containing something like
"104 translated, 57 fuzzy and 18 untranslated". And you go
through the new file looking for the word 'fuzzy'. The merging
program makes some great guesses when strings are identical,
but not so great when they are not. So for example, I found
this in gnome-mime-data after running it:

#, fuzzy
msgid "Nullsoft video"
msgstr "Fideo Microsoft"

Again, someone needs to go through, but it is certainly faster
to delete the lines saying "#, fuzzy" and correct things like
the above than it is to do the lot. 20 deletions of "fuzzy" and
37 corrections is still better than 57 from scratch.

> I gave a presentation at the first conference of the Assoc for
> Free Software in Birmingham last weekend.  The presentation is
> available for download from the site, and might be useful as a
> starting-point if anyone else is talking about this subject.
> Any corrections would be welcome.

I didn't even know that was on until two days before it happened.

> I will be at the Urdd next week - so far nothing on stall space,
> but maybe I'll nobble people on the field.

Is anyone else going to that? Anyone fancy saying hello? (or shwmae?)
I might make it as far as the learners' tent...

Telsa