Re: [gnome-cy] Status update (looking good)

On Wednesday 21 May 2003 9:02 am, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> Kevin, is it worth upodating Kyfieithu so that it has some
> of the non-done files on it now? Some of the POT files (the
> files with the lists of strings to translate) will have been
> there for a month or two now, I think. I can send you a
> list of suggestions for obvious apps to do first.

Yes, you're right.  I want to keep the existing ones up until about a week
after the Urdd Eisteddfod, though, so that if people go to look at the site
they will get good vibes about our being 60% there.  After that, I think all
the 100% files could come down, and new ones go up (eg Nautilus?).

> The Gnome website has a nice status page. (And probably KDE
> too, but I haven't looked, to be honest.)

It does, but since I am still finding my way around CVS, it doesn't reflect
where we are.  When it looks as nice as the Gnome one, I'll give the address
:-)  jr (whoever he/she is) has done a good bit of work over the last week in
trying to finish the remaining non-100% KDE files.

[anti-aliasing]

llyfnu ffontiau?

[mnemonic]

The problem with "cofrif" is that it can only refer to a numerical mnemonic,
which very few are.  The Academy dictionary gives "cofair", which is probably
more widely useable.

mnemonic key: cof-fysell, cof-allwedd?
accelerator: cyflymydd

On related matters, I have done an update of KGyfieithu so that there is more
(and better) background material.  One important new page gives a list of
Welsh software, and there are more references to Mozilla, Mandrake, Abiword
around.

Omnivore now contains over 32,000 strings.  At the AFFS conference (see below)
the possibility of searching this to find identical strings to be put into
the suggestion field of new tables (files) was raised - ie a sort of fuzzy
matching - which was why I was interested in what Alan had done.  I remain to
be convinced about this - in KDE you will get things like Directory:,
Directory, Directory %1, Name=Directory, and so on, and having to go into
each of these to correct one character is hardly quicker than typing them in
from scratch.  But if anyone thinks it would be worth experimenting with
this, let me know.

I gave a presentation at the first conference of the Assoc for Free Software
in Birmingham last weekend.  The presentation is available for download from
the site, and might be useful as a starting-point if anyone else is talking
about this subject.  Any corrections would be welcome.

I also got a bit more info about remastering Knoppix, so with luck I will
start doing something on that shortly.

I will be at the Urdd next week - so far nothing on stall space, but maybe
I'll nobble people on the field.

Lastly, I owe Chris and Dafydd an apology - the files will shortly be on their
way, but site updates, conference, and a move/rationalisation of my main PC
to SuSE 8.2 (I can use my TV card again for the first time since 7.1!!) fot
in the way.  Sorry!

Best wishes

Kevin