Re: [gnome-cy] Epiphany

Helo,

Ysgrifennodd Kevin Donnelly:
On Dydd Iau 01 Ionawr 1970 1:00 yb, Dewi Jones wrote:

Anyway, I've never heard of epiphany sorry, but if it helps I can forward
to whoever all the strings from Mozilla 1.4 in po format. (Mozilla L10N
doesn't use po files but DTDs. They're tightly integrated with the XML
files used to describe the UI (XUL) in Mozilla and easily breakable. ie.
they're release specific (look in any of the contents.rdf files))

Yes, it makes you wonder sometimes whether the latest fluffy idea is actually
better than older, but pretty robust, ideas.  I'm sure it makes your work a
lot harder.

It all depends on the tool support which po/gettext certainly has more. Mozilla XUL in itself is pretty robust but the tools for Mozilla L10N - i.e. MozillaTranslator and my own especially aren't.

Mozilla did consider a gettext approach to L10N way back in the early days but it chose not to due to a technical difficulty that once a string was loaded into the DOM it couldn't be changed or something like that (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/l10n/xul-l10n.html)

Anyhoo, XUL is a cool technology. Thanks to XUL, Mozilla has made it easier for non-hackers (web designers with knowledge of W3C standards - _javascript_, DOM and CSS etc) to contribute to Mozilla and extend it - loads of projects in Mozdev.org and extensions and themes already available for Firebird. It's actually quite easy to localise Mozilla (or any of its extensions) since all the strings are ready for you in DTD files and not scattered in various XML or _javascript_ files. And it's cross platform. The real work is in producing the language packs for many releases of Mozilla/Netscape where you rely on the use of a tool. Compared to OpenOffice L10N which again has it's own L10N framework, it's a breeze., so I don't mind.

With the news I've seen tonight that AOL has killed Netscape (http://www.mozillazine.org/talkback.html?article=3422) and let go of all the remaining Mozilla developers it's a shame they didn't thiink it was cool either.

Nos da,
Dewi

--
Llofnod