Re: [gnome-cy] Basecamp complete

Hi Telsa

On Dydd Iau 10 Gorfennaf 2003 11:16 yp, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> Good heavens.

Quite.

> Actually, back-porting all the stuff in Gnome to the current stable
> branch, which is of course smaller than the current devel branch,
> gives us 47%. At 50% Welsh becomes "partially supported" and at 90%
> (gulp) it is fully supported.

I'm trying to distinguish between what is needed to get Gnome/KDE "in the box"
(what I'm calling "essential"), and the desktop as a whole.  The former may
be more important to developer-types, but the latter is actually more
important to user-types.  It's also important not to give the impression that
we have the thing done and dusted - even if it goes in the box, there is
still a lot of work to be done before we can say that there is a full Welsh
desktop available under either system - and we need to keep people aware of
that.  Hence the sub-project idea, so that we can report milestones without
obscuring the larger task.

So that is the thinking behind the figures I'm posting.  I'm taking them from
the following pages:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.4/cy/index.html
http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/HEAD/cy/index.php
The KDE one gives the percentage directly, and the Gnome one I'm taking from
the total number of strings listed there, which is 51,152.

The figures you're referring to would (I think?) relate to these pages:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gtp/status/gnome-2.4/essential.html
http://i18n.kde.org/stats/gui/HEAD/essential.php
Strictly speaking, Basecamp has not got KDE above the 75% required for kdebase
- we need another 800 strings for that, but these are in files of less than
100 strings, which it is easier to work in off-site.  So that will be sorted
shortly.  The Gnome one is obviously hovering at around the 50% mark, which,
you say, will be enough to get it partially supported.  In view of the files
still to be done (ahem - why did none of these wing their way towards us when
I set up Basecamp? :-), it may be better to leave pim for a while, and, as
you suggest, try to get these to the state where we can say Welsh is
supported in Gnome.  Unfortunately, there's less time for that than there is
with KDE:
http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/kde-3.2-release-plan.html
http://gnome.org/start/2.3/ (seems to be down).

> The Gnome ones will arrive over the next few days. It would be lovely
> if we could have the names of the major contributors to them, so
> people see their names in lights, so to speak.

Thanks to the magic of Kartouche, a html file is attached which does this very
thing.  You can see that the chief author of our joys is Owain Green,
although he won't have as much time in the future :-).

> This is fabulous. gnome-control-centre is a monster :) Alan is
> building rpms and Dafydd and I are hammering Gnome CVS.

Good.  I'll have to see if these rpms run on SuSE - will there be any
BlueCurve oddities which might prevent that?  There is of course the SuSE use
of /opt, but I suppose I could rebuild the rpms to cope with that.

> Well. What about Evolution? 6000 strings in the whole thing, <snip>

OK - though see above.  I will split it into 8 or 9 files onsite, though, and
cat them when complete.  A 5,000 string file is too morale-sucking (kdelibs
was only 3,400, and I hated that by the end of it).

> Diolch i ti am dy waith gyda kyfiethu, am i bawb sydd wedi
> cyflannu. (Pwy yw'r bobl yma? Dweda 'diolch' iddyn nhw.)

Owain oedd yn gwneud y mwyafrif!

I do have to say that I think it is interesting that we would not have had the
benefit of his input from far-off Luton unless KGyfieithu had been there to
attract his (father's) attention.  We also got nearly 450 Gnome strings
translated from others who may or may not contribute in the future - not
much, you may say, but 1% of the total, say I; another 20 such sets of
one-off contributors, and we have 20% of the Gnome desktop translated.  I was
delighted about the 25 KDE strings posted from "Kadi" (see, Rhoslyn? - it's
catching on!), who is actually a 12-year-old in my son's class.  To me, this
points up the need to pursue a reasonably integrated approach to all this
stuff if we want actual results that people can end up using.

Best wishes

Kevin

Contributor

Eog