Re: [gnome-cy] Kartouche (a possible translation aid) - request for feedback

On Sun, 2003-02-23 at 15:22, Rhoslyn Prys wrote:
> possible to have software programs in Welsh, to begin the process of
> bringing the desktop in offices and homes into the Welsh language arena.
> Moving Welsh speakers on to opensource comes next.

OpenOffice is a great opportunity for bridging both

> 2. Development of a bilingual Linux 'distribution' - soon ther will be a
> Welsh version of OpenOffice available (by the Eisteddfod?) as well as
> updated versions of Gwe-lywiwr and added to Nautilus amongst others, it
> would really be great  to be able tempt the Assembly, Health, Education,
> Local Authorities away from Windows. This could be a version of Koppix
> or DemoLinux or a locally created distribution (sorry, Alan). I'm sure
> we have the expertise...and it would come better from within Wales.

Building a good distribution is hard. Very few people understand just
how hard it is until they try to do it. Taking something based around
Debian, Red Hat or another existing free distribution to build a Welsh
distribution is much more doable.

I agree with the locally created perception being valuable. A look at
SuSE market share in Germany, or Red Hat sales before and after having
a French office will back that up with hard numbers.

Alan