Re: [gnome-cy] Aurfa/Krowbar - a Welsh dictionary server

Ar Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 10:24:20PM +0000, ysgrifennodd Kevin Donnelly:
> > Well, Mark Nodine is the person you need to contact least of all,
> > because he has given permission for the use of his dictionary.
>
> Not to me :-)

His wordlist is available under the GPL, which should be sufficient
unless you want to do something which is not covered by the licence.

See http://www.hebffinia.com/geiriadur/.

> Yes, I looked at the dict stuff (and I think the Welsh list is even in
> Omnivore somewhere, back before I started noting the source).  But I don't
> see the benefit of running a separate protocol when http can do the job more
> easily.  A lot of the stuff is pretty cobwebby as well, which suggests others
> have come to the same conclusion.  I haven't got around to the aspell stuff
> yet.

Regardless of whether the dict protocol is a good one or not, it's well
established and well supported. For better or for worse, compatibility
will often win over a superior design. Personally, if I were to design
something to do the job that dict does, I'd probably implement something
that sent XML over HTTP, but since dict already exists and has a large
user base, it's folly to ignore it.

No matter how little you or I like the protocol itself, it does its job.
Unless I'm missing something and it doesn't meet something necessary for
what you're trying to do.

--
Dafydd