Re: [gnome-cy] A body

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 09:49:57AM +0100 or thereabouts, Kevin Donnelly wrote:

> Wait a minute - so there actually IS a version of Windows in Welsh?  I knew
> one was being worked on about 4 years ago, but I wasn't aware that it had
> come to fruition.  If it has, we can't say that the Linux desktop is the
> first ever Welsh desktop.  I don't want to be accused of misrepresentation
> :-)  Any further info would be welcome.

I have never seen it. There is definitely something out there, though:
someone at the Awareness Day had seen it. His opinion wasn't high. He
said it was only partly translated and that most of the menus were in
English.

I imagine that the 'base' of Windows was done, but that applications
which you get and install separately weren't, which would lead to the
sort of half-done-half-not menus he talked about. I am certainly seeing
that in Gnome at the moment.

In addition, almost exactly a year ago, a friend mailed me an ITWales
story about "Windows2000 and Welsh". The original URL has gone away
now but -- aha, some quick googling later -- this looks like the article.
It's in two places:

http://www.itwales.com/999424.htm
http://www.aber.ac.uk/aberonline/uwa3602.html

Whether this is what the person at the Awareness Day had seen or
not, I am not sure. I don't recall him saying anything about Aber.
I had the idea he had seen something you could buy. But I may be
very wrong.

Incidentally, all this burrowing about in my email has made me
check some dates. This list is not yet even a year old. The first
postings were on the sixth of September last year.

Telsa