Re: Bonobo activation: new library to old bonobo-activation-server

On 09/05/07, Nickolay V. Shmyrev <nshmyrev yandex ru> wrote:
Hello Grahame. This message is indeed present in sources:
[snip]
But I suppose we should find why it's not listed in query results. Can you attach .server
file for example? Probably it has some errors or incompatibilities. Probably there is sense to build
b-a-s from sources and just debug it. It's not very large program really.

Also can you run `bonobo-activation-run-query "1"`, it should list all the service, I suppose
that bug with repoid's naming is possible too.

Hi Nickolay

Thanks for the suggestions! I've poked around with GDB a bit more, and
I think I've found the problem. I'm not sure how to resolve it though.

In bonobo_activation_activate, the system tries to run
Bonbo_ActivationContext_activateMatchingFull, and if that fails (which
it does with this old bonobo activation server) it tries to to run
Bobono_ActivationContext_activateMatching. This fails, but the method
does actually run within the bonobo activation server.

In the old bonobo activation server, (2.2.2) within
impl_Bonobo_ActivationContext_activateMatching it tries to get
"hostname" from the CORBA_Context. This fails, setting a CORBA
exception, and the method notices the exception and returns failure.

Note that all of this is happening before activating my component;
this is just my program trying to get a new bonobo activation server
to talk to (activating OAFID:Bonobo_Moniker_Oaf).

New libbonobo mentions in many places that setting "hostname" is
deprecated, but as far as I can see with the debugger it still does
set it. So either something odd is happening sending the CORBA_Context
over, or something is clearing the value before it is sent through.

Are there any tips for peering into CORBA_Context? I'd like to check
that hostname is *really* being set on the CORBA_Context. If desperate
I can just modify the old bonobo-activation server to not care about
hostname (it doesn't actually use it for anything) but it seems like
there is a genuine bug here : newer libbonobo can't talk to an old
activation server.