Bonobo Unique Application v5.1

A Sex, 2003-11-14 ās 12:52, Michael Meeks escreveu:
> Hi Gustavo,
>
> On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 22:27, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
> > 	Here's a fresh new patch to implement the "unique application" feature,
> > already discussed in this list.
>
> 	OK, unfortunately I havn't had time to review this as thoroughly as I'd
> like. However - I'd like the functionality, if you can commit time to
> fixing a few things up before 2.6 then please commit it with the
> following changes:
>
> 	* bin redundant g_warnings on misc. methods
> 	* remove over commenting - just a few too many here and there
> 	* the new-instance thing should be a special case separate
> 	  method on the IDL I think (discuss this one)
> 	* would it be nice to have a 'getAppName' thing on the interface
> 	  for a GUI tool to allow poking at running apps ?
>
> > 	Minor Changes:
> >
> > 		1. No longer uses BonoboArg<->GValue conversion functions, since their
> > API basically sucks; instead I created new functions for the same
> > purpose, albeit based on the old ones.
>
> 	If you have a better API for this (doing allocation) please expose it
> in bonobo-arg.h (I'd like to see the patch for that first). Also, we
> should really add an API to allow register/unregister external
> conversion functions:
>
> 	bonobo_arg_add_conversion (GType, to_arg_fn, from_arg_fn);
>
> 	or somesuch; so we can do more powerful stuff nicely (perhaps in
> libbonoboui) eg. GdkPixbuf <-> CORBA_any (etc.).
>
> >		2. A GValue containing a CORBA::any is now transported through CORBA
> > as one CORBA::any inside another CORBA::any.
>
> 	Sounds fine.
>
> 	My other concern is that we need to beef up the
> bonobo-activation-server stuff. I'd quite like you to write a tweaking
> tool that allows people to list the running servers, and poke at their
> messages [ if that's feasible ]. I'm particularly interested in the

	Michael, I just realized this is not possible.  Since BonoboApplication
servers are register without .server file, bonobo activation queries
will always ignore such objects.  I even thought about making
bonobo-activation-server make up a ServerInfo structure for such
anonymous object, but then we'd need to guess the server properties, and
it starts feeling like a hack.  The way I see it, we have 3 choices:
	1. Don't do this, assume it is not possible to list running
BonoboApplication's;
	2. Require that applications install .server files;
	3. Include an XML string describing the server in the 'description'
parameter of Bonobo::ObjectDirectory::register_new.

	Regarding the other stuff you asked, here's a new patch.  Notice the
new bonobo_arg_to|from_gvalue_copy functions in bonobo-arg.c.  I won't
commit anything until you aprove these functions, since all the rest
depends on them.

  Regards.

--
Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro