Re: Learning about BonoboControls/NautilusViews

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003, M wrote:
> btw: But why are so many new applications using
> BonoboPersistFile (like Eog-Collection ??)

Convinience. I don't quite understand why we drop well (AFAICS) working
code and let each user of this interface copy&paste it by hand.

> * If you want a BonoboControl to be able to show up in
> Nautilus it has to implement besides Bonobo::Unknown
> and Bonobo::Control also Bonobo::PersistFile? (and the
> server file must have the view-as etc elements). Is
> that correct? At least a saw Eog-Collection doing it
> that way...

Yes, that is correct.

> I also know that if your .server file says it implements
> Nautilus/View it shows up. Btw: if you really create
> an an object inherited from NautilusView, for wich reasons
> I should do that?

Nautilus will embed each BonoboControl with a generic NautilsView adapter
to access the component. A 'real' NautilusView gives you some more control
how the component behaves and has a tighter communication with the
NautilusFrame. IMO this is only neccessary for views which are only
sensible in conjunction with nautilus. Especially, because you get a
dependancy on libnautilus. So, it depends on what's the purpose of your
view is.

Regards,

   Jens