Newbie to corba.

Hello all,
Just have a quick question. I was reading through all the docs on Gnome.org on the bonobo stuff. I didn't see it mentioned anywahere so I'll try asking here. Lets say I have a compound laying around somewhere and no one is using it at the moment. If an app requests the object, does bonobo know where it is and how to load it up, or does it have to already be loaded in an active app? Basically is there some sort of registery aka Windows COM?

Thanks,
greg