Re: deprecated interfaces; one more question

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 09:17, Michael Meeks wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 15:12, Jaka Mocnik wrote:
> > heh... the use of PersistStream is a relic of the past, since I ported
> > GGV (and its bonobo component) from Gnome 1 platform. I don't think that
> > you should use deprecated interfaces in newly written code. On the other
> > hand, I really don't know why the BonoboPersistStream object was
> > deprecated: it offered a nice, effort-less way to add this functionality
> > to one's component.
>
> 	The PersistStream interface is not deprecated; people are encouraged to
> implement it. The mechanism of using an uber-ugly, incomplete C wrapper
> to implement it is however gone completely. Thus to implement
> PersistStream you have to use BonoboObject in a more sensible fashion;
>
> 	The easiest way to do that is to copy bonobo-persist-stream.c & .h,
> rename it, chop the helpers from the bottom - and instead of throwing C
> callbacks - just implement the load / save methods yourself nicely.

  Well, unfortunately my server is in Python, so I can't do that:
deriving from BonoboObject in python is not supported (yet, I hope). In
addition, since the C object is deprecated, the python maintainers
refuse to do a python wrapper for it. I'm stuck. :(

  On a related subject, how does one create a Bonobo::Stream object? I
have managed to create one for reading using monikers, but I am unable
to create one for writing. This would be used for saving a component to
a file using the Bonobo::PersistStream interface.

--
Gustavo Joćo Alves Marques Carneiro