Re: documentation, deprecated interfaces

Hi Gustavo,

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 14:34, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:
>   Why is this interface deprecated?

	As I say, the interface is not - the ugly C wrapper implementation is.

>   And I can't seem to find an
> implementation for Bonobo::ProgressiveDataSink.

	The interface is gone - it sucked, and no-one used it.

>  For all deprecated
> interfaces there should be a note (in the C header file or IDL) saying
> which interface should be used instead.

	Hmm - send me a patch then :-) there is the 'changes.txt' file that
documents many of the changes - but strangely not this one, patches
welcome there too.

>   Please, more documentation is still required! I am very excited about
> bonobo (just tried adding an image to my app by activating
> "file:/tmp/foo.jpg", and it works!:) but it is very hard to learn
> anything this way. I would write some docs myself, but obviously it I
> need to read them, I can't write them.

	The thing is that when you've learned - you need to write up. There is
nothing really that complex about any of this - indeed by not having
documentation you (arguably) learn something more useful ;-)

>   Anyway, nice work Mathieu, I hope more bonobo gurus follow your
> example.

	There is a load of bonobo 1.4 documentation as you say - but it needs
updating to 2.0 - if you have the time and inclination to do that,
please do so. My feeling is that Mathieu's documentation - while
interesting encourages people to do needlessly painful (and
unmaintainable) things.