Re: popup menus, xml merge

Hi Lutz,

On Mon, 1 Jan 2001, Lutz Mueller wrote:
> (1) It has been mentioned earlier (I don't know what has been
> decided): The top level popup menu does not seem to be detachable.
> Everything below the top level popup menu is detachable and just works
> great (I am using <control>s as I need for example panes). Could you
> give us (little programmers :-) at least the option to make the top
> level popup menu detachable, too?

        Yes; IIRC we had the opposite problem last time that people
thought we shouldn't have a tearoff on the root of a popup; but an option
for this is not out of the question.

> (2) Then, after a
>
> bonobo_window_xml_merge (window, "/", "

        Use bonobo_ui_component_set_translate (component, "/", "...");

        Your XML string is fine; although you need to add a 'N_(_Edit)'
somewhere in your file to make it translatable.

        The set_translate does a transformation:

        _label="XYZ" -> label="coded, translated XYZ"

        poking directly at bonobo-window is deprecated behavior, I'll add
some warnings on this shortly, you should always use the UIComponent
interface for doing ( even local ) merging. In the local case this is
extremely fast due to ORBit's local optimizations.

> I do get the new Edit-submenu, but without labels.

        This is due to the fact that the _label attribute does not get
converted to 'label' since you circumvented the translation
logic. Consequently when we get the 'label' attribute it is not found (
being instead called '_label' ). NB. this is a feature, translation has to
happen at the component end.

        HTH,