Re: The storage interface cleanup

Michael Meeks <michael helixcode com> writes:

> Hi Maciej,
>
> On 19 Oct 2000, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > The older interfaces can probably be deprecated over time. I am not
> > sure how well GNOME 1.x components will work with GNOME 2.x clients or
> > vice versa in any case; certainly the in-process case won't work at
> > all.
>
> 	At some stage we have to grab the compatibility problem by the
> horns. I agree that for Gnome 2.0 the shlib case is probably too much to
> support. However in future we will have to have out of process proxying of
> old ( shlib and other ) executables ( and load the correct library
> environment for them ). Luckily it would seem to be relatively easy to do
> this with oaf.

Actually, I am highly interested in proxying shlib servers in an
executable for other reasons (it's a good first step to letting
language bindings use them). Elliot claimed in a comment in OAF that
this is really hard, but I am not sure why. Elliot, any comments on
this? It seems like a fairly straightforward hack to me...

 - Maciej