Re: The storage interface cleanup

> The older interfaces can probably be deprecated over time. I am not
> sure how well GNOME 1.x components will work with GNOME 2.x clients or
> vice versa in any case; certainly the in-process case won't work at
> all.

Activation of components will have to use a special mechanism that
uses a scheme similar to COM: we will define various `platforms' and
for each platform there will be a generic platform container.

When an application activates a shlib-based component for a different
platform, then the shell will host the component, and will become a
non-in-proc component.

So, yes, this was contemplated (for other reasons beside the backwards
compatibility as well, like handling various threading
models/appartment models).

Miguel.