Re: one more stupid patch.

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs eazel com> writes:

> Michael Meeks <michael helixcode com> writes:
>
> > Hi,

> > > You should also add the magic to suppress generation of real stubs and
> > > skeletons in generated files (#pragma inhibit and all) so if you
> > > include one of these IDL files directly you don't get linker problems.
> >
> >         Why then are you compiling the IDL if you are going to link
> > against the shared stubs and skels in libbonobo directly anyway ? I can
> > only see this patch as being helpful ( perhaps ) for scripting languages,
> > where one needs to parse the IDL file; is this what the patch is intended
> > for Mathieu ?
> >
> >         If it is for a speedup, I think orbit-idl is one extremely fast
> > part of the build system;
> >
> >         Not that the patch isn't nice, but what are you trying to achieve?

As maciej said: I have to parse the files separatly so, I need real IDL file,
not only bits of IDL declaration.

Also, we should be thinking about the dya when someone wants to implement a
bonobo component with the IDL: this will happen and this is the kind of detail
which makes it possible: just compile the bonob-control.idl file.

> Mathieu is writing a daemon that will feed the Interface Repository
> from IDL files found on the system. As such, it needs to be able to
> parse individual IDL files, which requires files to have the proper
> #includes, so for his particular purposes, the #pragma inhibit stuff
> does not matter.

yes, and  I am not really willing to do the #pragma stuff: it would require quite
some testing: I will probably do it later.

As a side note, parsing the IDL files to feed data to the IR is not the niocest
thing you can dream of. I was toying with the idea of reusing mozilla's typelibs
but this will wait till I really need it.

So, may I commit ?

Mathieu
--
Mathieu Lacage <mathieu eazel com>