Re: Namespacing issues ...

Maciej Stachowiak <mjs eazel com> writes:

> I think the GNOME namespace should definitely be owned and controlled
> by the Foundation (which should delegate pieces of it to app authors
> on request). Probably it should delegate the task to some subcommittee
> to take care of this. I will raise this with the Board.

Yeah, this was my idea and I think some people also raised this issue on
the foundation-list a few weeks before we started with the election stuff.

We just need to make sure that we "own" the GNOME/ and Bonobo/ namespaces
so that we can use it for core GNOME applications as we want without worrying
about third party apps.

Basically, I think we can use something like the GNOME Applist for this -
a database where module authors/maintainers can register their module and the
corresponding 2nd level namespace entry.

> Well I hate studlyCaps but uniformity is more important than any one
> person's personal preferences. Ultimately someone has to make a
> decision.

I hate it as well, but I did it in Eog yesterday evening to get consistency
there ....

> You could achieve the same thing solely with filenames. We don't split
> /usr/bin into a complex multi-level directory tree and I see no
> argument for doing it here.

Yes, good idea.

The biggest problem with non-namespaced oafinfo filenames is what will happen
if we ever get two html-editor.oafinfo's - this'd become a nightmare for all
packaging folks and also for all people who try to compile the second one from
source while the first on is already installed in their system.

> Yes. I still think it's loathsome, and in particular I think the
> arbitrary process by which the decision was made was reprehensible,
> but I will try to do it to OAF before GNOME 1.4. I haven't had time to
> do it myself yet, but I'll take a patch.

Can't this be done just with a nice perl script ?

--
Martin Baulig
martin gnome org (private)