Re: draft of bonobo controls tutorial 0.0.1

* Ali Abdin (ALIABDIN aucegypt edu) wrote at 15:46 on 15/11/00:
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, Michael Meeks wrote:
>

> > Hi Dirk,
> >
> > On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Dirk-Jan C. Binnema wrote:
> > > At http://linux.denhaag.org/bonobo_controls/ you can find a new
> > > version of the tutorial I wrote on writing bonobo controls.
> >
> > 	This discussion is really nice; a good practical guide to reating
> > your first control. I do however have a few comments;
> >
> > 	* I would export a single string property of the stringified IP
> > address; this is so people can see the usual use case of the arg_id ie.
> >
> > 	switch (arg_id) {
> > 	case IP_STRING:
> > 		break;
> > 	default:
> > 		g_warning ("Unknown id");
> > 		break;
> > 	};
> >
> > 	Whilst your use of the arg_id works fine; it is perhaps hard for a
> > begginner to see how to extend this in a nice way to a larger variety of
> > types of argument.
> >
> > > I have added a discussion of property bag listeners, updated the code
> > > to the latest CVS versions of Bonobo, fixed a lot of errors, and
> > > probably introduced some new errors.
> >
> > 	Great :-) With our nice frozen API your pain should be reduced
> > significantly now.
> >
> > > I'd like to thank all people who have send me error reports,
> > > suggestions, fixes and other forms of encouragement.
> > > Please continue to do so!
> >
> > 	Another thing that I thought was possibly a mistake, was putting
> > all the code in to handle bonobo-win / the ui container. Although you
> > explain it nicely, it is not neccessary for the simple embedding case
> > which is just:
> >
> > 	bonobo_widget_new (..., NULL);
> >
> > 	which is far more simple and hassle free; of course, the
> > BonoboWindow stuff is great to have too, perhaps that could go in a 'full
> > version' you attach in an appendix ?
> >
> > 	The version of bonobo this should work with is perhaps
> > Bonobo>=0.28 ( ie. the last release ), and Oaf >= 0.6.0.
> >
> > 	Thanks for this valuable resource; perhaps we should put it on
> > developer.gnome.org somewhere; or put a link from the bonobo FAQ.
>
> Its linked from developer.gnome.org I believe :)

Could you please make the SGML file available. It is much more convient for me
to grab the SGML and run 'db2html' on it offline, than trying to download the
webpages (through wget or whatever).

Or perhaps it can be added to bonobo CVS in the 'doc' subdirectory

Regards,
Ali