Re: bonobo-media thoughts ...

Hi,

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Michael Meeks wrote:

>         I was just thinking about your IDL; and I think using Monikers is
> probably a good thing ( how did you know I would say that ).

OK so here's my plan:
1. Several components implementing Bonobo::Media::Stream and
Bonobo::Media::{Audio,Video}, plus some Persist interfaces.
2. A widget that controls a ::Stream, one that controls an ::Audio, and
one that controls a ::Video
3. A media player control that implements a Persist interface: if you load
it some media data, it launches a stream implementation (based on the mime
type -- i.e. using a file: moniker), queries for its auxiallary interfaces
(::Audio and ::Video) and builds its user interface from the widgets
described in (2).
4. A media player application that's just a shell around (3) (i.e. it
resolves a file: moniker to a Bonobo::Control and gets (3))

Tuners could use a tuner: moniker, like
	tuner:v4l/dev/radio0
(I think the driver type (v4l) has to be in the moniker, because I'm not
sure you can determine it from the device file. Of course, non-v4l tuner
drivers are becoming extinct)

>         And I think instead of cooking your own listener / event source
> stuff it would be most auspicious to aggregate against a BonoboEventSource
> and use a BonoboListener. This will do everything you need in a more
> standard and simple way I think.

I can only tell you what I've told Dietmar: if using the generic
EventSource/Listener interfaces is officially recommended, I will switch
to them, but I prefer more precise interfaces, and they don't cost
anything.

--
   .--= ULLA! =----------------------------.  finger cactus cactus rulez org
   \      http://cactus.rulez.org           \   for PGP public key