Re: tear-off menu items in submenus of pop-up menus

Hi Darin,

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Darin Adler wrote:
> In Nautilus, at least, by design all the items in the right-click
> menus are also found in the menu bar. So there's no difficult
> technical issue here, although there may be a usability one. To answer
> your question, the menus would always affect the current selection.

        This is most sensible.

> Anyway, my concern is that we have non-working tear-off lines in the
> submenus. This is untidy and looks bad. Making them work or getting
> rid of them would be equally good, I think.

        Sorry; can you pinpoint precicely how the tear off menus are not
working, I'm fairly sure that the logic can fully cope with the problems
of merging stuff into tearoffs; that is unless you start changing
attributes on the parent submenu that you tore it off of :-)

> Michael, what do you think of adding a submenu attribute to control
> whether the tear-off menu item appears? If left out it would fall back
> on the GNOME default.

        That's certainly fairly simple to do, however I'd like to
understand the problem first: what is it ?