Re: tear-off menu items in submenus of pop-up menus

on 12/5/00 2:02 PM, Michael Meeks at michael helixcode com wrote:

> Sorry; can you pinpoint precicely how the tear off menus are not
> working, I'm fairly sure that the logic can fully cope with the problems
> of merging stuff into tearoffs; that is unless you start changing
> attributes on the parent submenu that you tore it off of :-)
>
>> Michael, what do you think of adding a submenu attribute to control
>> whether the tear-off menu item appears? If left out it would fall back
>> on the GNOME default.
>
> That's certainly fairly simple to do, however I'd like to
> understand the problem first: what is it ?

The tear-off menus are working fine. It's just that their lifetime is tied
to the pop-up's lifetime, and currently the pop-ups are created and
destroyed as needed rather than being created once and destroyed once.

So there's no mystery. It's down to a UI question for the most part. We
either need to make all the pop-up menu pieces "tear-offable", even the main
menu (fix bug in Bonobo) and then accommodate this in Nautilus by creating
the pop-up one time only instead of creating it each time you click (change
rule in Nautilus) or just change it so pop-ups don't have tear-offs either
by default (change rule in Bonobo) or callers can specify that there is no
tear-off for a particular menu (add small feature to bonobo).

    -- Darin