Re: tear-off menu items in submenus of pop-up menus

on 12/5/00 12:14 PM, Maciej Stachowiak at mjs eazel com wrote:

> Since right-click menus are supposed to be contextual, I don't think
> tearing them off makes sense UI-wise. For example, if you select some
> items, tear off the popup, and then change the selection, which
> selection should it affect?

In Nautilus, at least, by design all the items in the right-click menus are
also found in the menu bar. So there's no difficult technical issue here,
although there may be a usability one. To answer your question, the menus
would always affect the current selection.

Anyway, my concern is that we have non-working tear-off lines in the
submenus. This is untidy and looks bad. Making them work or getting rid of
them would be equally good, I think.

Michael, what do you think of adding a submenu attribute to control whether
the tear-off menu item appears? If left out it would fall back on the GNOME
default. Then people can work around the problem by explicitly setting the
tear-off menu item off for the pop-up submenus rather than trying to add
logic to bonobo itself.

    -- Darin